Thursday, June 26, 2008

And baby makes three...


Jeff and I experienced a blast from the past with "Parenting only one child 101" last week.

My sister, Heather, had plans to visit our parents in Arizona and invited Brinley to go along. Not since the infamous "six hours on an all-night flight from Hawaii with double ear infections of 2004" has Brin flown on an airplane, so she was reeling with anticipation. Which, as all of you experienced parents know, leads directly to illness. (The greater the anticipation, the sicker children will get). Just five hours before her eight o'clock flight Brinley threw up (all over me, might I add) at a picnic in the canyon.

Well! I couldn't very well send her- all shivering, aching and with a 101 degree fever. Caroline gingerly inquired, "If Brin doesn't go.......... can I use her ticket?" Jeff said she could.

Just the, a sudden realization came upon me! Brin had just received her kindergarten immunizations, with flu like symptoms being a common side effect. After a two hour nap Brin was convinced she could fly. But where did that leave Caroline???

Well, I'll tell you where it left her. It left her with great big puppy-dog-disappointed-looking eyes. It left her with the biggest push-over of a daddy in the whole world, who happens to have several frequent-flyer miles. And it left her going to Arizona, too, with less than three hours to pack.

So there Jeff and I were left, two comfortable old shoes with nothing but little Gracie to occupy our time for five whole days. I think I feel in love with her in a way I remember feeling about Caroline when she was my only baby.

She is magically beautiful.

It was nice to have the girls back home yesterday, though. They do so many chores for me around the house that I was beginning to grow weary without them. Besides being my little slaves, they are a whole lot of fun to be around.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Scott said...

I had abandoned your blog because I thought you quit it early in the year. But you came back and Julie mentioned you were back. Great to see how things are going. The kids are so grown up!

Marci said...

Gracie is such a little cutie! How fun to have her all to yourself for a little while!

kallunkimom said...

I know how you feel...Last week Alisha was at EFY, this week Austin is at Scout Camp, and next week Alisha leaves again for Girl's Camp!

I know I only have two kids but when one is gone, it's totally different around here!

The best is when Matt takes both kids on a trip and I get to stay home alone with just the pets! I can really get a lot accomplished then!!!