Thursday, June 26, 2008

Guess who's comming to dinner?

This is a little game I play every night at about 6:00, and the answer is never the same. The revolving door around my kitchen table whirls with excitement as the summer weeks wear on. Between in-town-old-roommates with kids in tow, parents in for frequent visits, friends, neighbors and a husband who travels half of the time I can be cooking for two or twenty on any given day.

One of my favorite things about my neighborhood is the communal sense of child rearing, meaning that I feed (or care for... or take to the pool or movies) which ever little bodies happen to be playing at my house at the time.

So each summer night I think, "Well, Jeff is gone, but Heidi's here and so are two neighbor kids and my sister, so I'll have to set how many places...."

I LOVE IT!!!

1 comment:

Marci said...

Wow - I wish I could be as casual about life as you are! Maybe I need some anxiety meds!! You are such a cool mom. I wish I lived in your neighborhood!